Sunday, May 6, 2007

Widget: Cross and Crucifixion Images

This weekend I created a new widget that shows a range of Crucifixion scenes. This was a really fascinating project for me, as I actually learned a lot about Crucifixion iconography in the process of building the widget.

I worked with materials from the Web Gallery of Art, so each item in the widget contains an image, a link to Web Gallery of Art (to see a larger version of the image plus additional information), along with a comment about some distinctive feature of that particular image.

As with the Hindu gods and goddesses, this Cross and Crucifixion widget is available in both a week-by-week and a random form. You can see the "Cross of the Week" widget displayed here in the blog in the right-hand column.

I really enjoyed this project because it is a good example to me both of "religious literacy" but also "visual literacy," helping people learn how to identify specific, distinctive features in this important Christian iconographical tradition. I'll be writing blog posts here week by week to explore more in depth each of the images featured for the week. So... stay tuned for more - and please feel free to take and use this widget in your own website or blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.