Saturday, October 20, 2018

Week 9 Story: Brer Anansi Borrows Money

This is a story about ANANSI, the trickster spider:


Anasi was broke and needed some money. So he made a plan. A very sneaky plan.

First he went to Hog and said, "Brer Hog, lend me a dollar! I'll pay you back! Just come to my house tomorrow, twelve o'clock sharp."




Brer Hog said okay, and he gave Anansi a dollar.

Next he went to Dog and said, "Brer Dog, lend me a dollar! I'll pay you back! Just come to my house tomorrow, three minutes after twelve."




Brer Dog said okay, and he gave Anansi a dollar. That made two dollars.

Then he went to Monkey and said, "Brer Monkey, lend me a dollar! I'll pay you back! Just come to my house tomorrow, six minutes after twelve."


Brer Monkey said okay, and he gave Anansi a dollar. That made three dollars.

Next he went to Tiger and said, "Brer Tiger, lend me a dollar! I'll pay you back! Just come to my house tomorrow, nine minutes after twelve."


Brer Tiger said okay, and he gave Anansi a dollar. That made four dollars.

Finally he went to Lion and said, "Brer Lion, lend me a dollar! I'll pay you back! Just come to my house tomorrow, twelve minutes after twelve."



Brer Lion said okay, and he gave Anansi a dollar. That made five dollars.

Anansi took the money and had himself a big feast that night.

The next day, precisely at noon, Hog came knocking.

"Who's there?" Anansi said.

"It's me, Brer Hog!"

Anansi said, "Come on in!"

While he and Hog stood there talking, someone knocked at the door. It was three minutes after twelve o'clock. Anansi said, "Who's there?"

"It's me, Brer Dog!"

Anansi looked worried. "Brer Hog," he said, "you better go run in the other room there and hide under the bed. Brer Dog is a bad man. He told he wants to catch you and eat you up!"

Brer Hog ran into the other room, and Anansi opened the door. Brer Dog came in. While he and Dog stood there talking, someone knocked at the door. It was six minutes after twelve o'clock. Anansi said, "Who's there?"

"It's me, Brer Monkey!"

Anansi looked worried. "Brer Dog," he said, "you better go run in the other room there and hide under the bed. Brer Monkey is a bad man. He told he wants to catch you and eat you up! If you find Brer Hog in there already, you better kill him to keep him from squealing. That Brer Hog is a squealing fool! He'll give you away for sure."

Brer Dog ran into the other room, and Anansi sang to himself:

Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na bom,
Eb-ry-bod-y
Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na bom,
Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na.
Po' Hog dead and gone.

Then Anansi opened the door. Brer Monkey came in. While he and Monkey stood there talking, someone knocked at the door. It was nine minutes after twelve o'clock. Anansi said, "Who's there?"

"It's me, Brer Tiger!"

Anansi looked worried. "Brer Monkey," he said, "you better go run in the other room there and hide under the bed. Brer Tiger is a bad man. He told he wants to catch you and eat you up! If you find Brer Dog in there already, you better kill him to keep him from barking. That Brer Dog is a barking fool! He'll give you away for sure."

Brer Monkey ran into the other room, and Anansi sang to himself:

Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na bom,
Eb-ry-bod-y
Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na bom,
Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na.
Po' Dog dead and gone.

Then Anansi opened the door. Brer Tiger came in. While he and Tiger stood there talking, someone knocked at the door. It was twelve minutes after twelve o'clock. Anansi said, "Who's there?"

"It's me, Brer Lion!"

Anansi looked worried. "Brer Tiger," he said, "you better go run in the other room there and hide under the bed. Brer Lion is a bad man. He told he wants to catch you and eat you up! If you find Brer Monkey in there already, you better kill him to keep him from chattering. That Brer Monkey is a chattering fool! He'll give you away for sure."

Brer Tiger ran into the other room, and Anansi sang to himself:

Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na bom,
Eb-ry-bod-y
Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na bom,
Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na.
Po' Monkey dead and gone.

Then Anansi opened the door. Brer Lion came in. As soon as Brer Lion came in, Anansi told him, "You came at just the right time: I've got something good for you! Brer Tiger is in the other room there: if you hurry, you can kill him and eat him!"

Brer Lion went running into the other room, and Anansi sang to himself:

Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na bom,
Eb-ry-bod-y
Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na bom,
Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na.
Po' Tiger dead and gone.

As he was singing, Anansi went and dug a big hole outside the back door and shouted, "Brer Lion, come on out here! I've got a big stew pot where we can cook up all that meat! Grab Tiger and Monkey and Dog and Hog and put them in the pot so we can have a feast!"

Lion grabbed Tiger in one paw and Monkey in another paw and Dog in his mouth and then he picked up Hog with his tail, and he came hopping as quick as he could.

"I'm here out back," Anansi shouted.

Hop, hop, hop, Lion came on out back and fell right into that hole and broke his neck.

Anansi cackled and danced around the hole singing:

Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na bom,
Eb-ry-bod-y
Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na bom,
Si-lay-na, Si-lay-na.
Po' Hog dead and gone.
Po' Dog dead and gone.
Po' Monkey dead and gone.
Po' Tiger dead and gone.
Po' Lion dead and gone.

"I picked your pockets clean, and now I'll pick your bones clean too!"

Anansi had himself another big feast that night.

So you better watch out if Anansi ever asks you to loan him a dollar.

Author's Note

This was a lot of fun to write! I started out with the "chain of victims" story about Anansi and it has the basic plot, where Anansi borrows money from the five victims and then has the victims kill each other so that when he kills Lion himself in the end, they are all dead. That story was written in dialect, so I wrote it out in more standard English, and I also fixed a gap in the story; in the version Beckwith collected, Anansi didn't actually tell Monkey to kill Dog. I made sure my story didn't have any gaps.

Then I started filling things up with more details until I hit 999 words. I added the little song, based on a song that Anansi sang in another story about Tiger (Tiger as Riding-Horse). I added the parts where Anansi tells each animal why they should kill the animal before them; that is a typical chain-tale detail where the sounds that animals make are often how you create the chain (like in Old MacDonald Had a Farm). I spread out the animals coming at noon so there was a three-minute gap in-between each one. I also added the part where Anansi tells Lion to bring the other animals with him when he comes outside; it was fun imagining the Lion trying to carry them all, kind of like in a cartoon.

I love the repetition in stories like these. Children love these kinds of stories too, and I don't see why adults should not enjoy them just as much! Folktales like this show that such stories were told by and for adults, not just confined to children's stories. It's good that there is the 1000-word limit because I probably would have found all kinds of other repetitions to weave into the story if I did not have to stop!

Bibliography

Chain of Victims, in Jamaica Anansi Stories by Martha Warren Beckwith (1924). For this story, her informant was: Richard Morgan, Santa Cruz Mountains.

For my own future reference, I am copying out Beckwith's comparative notes here: Common as is the story of the "chain of victims" in Africa, Falconer gave me the only version I heard in Jamaica. Compare Koelle, 158-161; Dayrell, 6-10; Nassau, 245-247; Tremearne, 373-374; FL 21:211-212; Lenz, 39-40; Boas, JAFL 25:207-209; Rattray, 2:58-72.

Also for future reference, the ATU Tale Type is 2024: Rabbit Borrows Money. A rabbit borrows money from a beetle, a hen, a fox, a dog, a tiger, and a hunter. When the beetle asks for the money back, the rabbit tells him to wait behind to count the money. Instead, the hen eats the beetle, then the fox eats the hen, etc.

Images

SVGSilh Hog.
SVGSilh Dog.
How to Draw a Cartoon Spider. I made the animation by turning the spider into a circle gif using LunaPic and then rotating it with GIMP.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Laura!

    I just read your introduction and popped over here to leave you a story comment. I liked the story, and then reading your author's note to find out the different elements from different stories that you used really made the story special to me. I enjoy things that may seem simple, but in reality take much more effort than people imagine, so I appreciate the work that you put into this story. I hope I get the chance to read more of your work as the semester goes on!

    -Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, that story was soon funny. You did a great job at depicting Anansi as a trickster spider-god. As sick as the sense of humor in your story was, it legitimately had me laughing! I don't think there's been any other story in this class to make me laugh so far. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.