Thursday, August 6, 2020

Tucson, Cracow, Berkeley... My Favorite Places

Like other returning students, I'm re-using my favorite place blog post from last time, but adding in some new pictures. So, here are my three favorite places (because I cannot choose just one!).


Tucson, Arizona. I lived in Tucson in the 1970s when I was a little kid, and of the many places we lived, Tucson was my favorite. It is so beautiful! We lived in a house in the foothills of the Catalina mountains which you can see here. Aren't the saguaros beautiful?

(Sabino Canyon in the Catalinas:
Wikimedia Commons)

The saguaro blossom is the state flower of Arizona:



Kraków (Cracow), Poland. I did a "study abroad" in the summer of 1985 — and what an adventure! I was a Polish major in college, so getting to live in Poland that summer was a dream come true. Here's a picture of the "Sukiennice" ("The Cloth Hall") on the main town square in Kraków:

(Stary Rynek: Wikimedia Commons)

I stayed in a dormitory called Dom Piast, and it's still going strong (the Piasts were the first kings of Poland):

(Dom Studencki Piast: PolHotels.com)

After I graduated from college I moved to Poland and lived there for a while, near Płock; here's a picture of Płock; it is located on the Wisła (Vistula) river, the same river that runs through Warsaw:

(Płock: Nocowanie)


Berkeley, California. I lived in the Bay Area for over 10 years, and I guess it is the place I love the most. For sure it is the place I know best. I moved to San Francisco after graduating from high school because it seemed like the most exciting place to be ... and it was! Then, after working as a secretary for a year, I decided to go to college, so I went to Berkeley. After graduating from Berkeley in 1986, I lived in other places, but for grad school I went back to Berkeley again; that was in the 1990s. It's a great place and is definitely a big part of who I am! Here is a beautiful picture that shows the Campanile (bell tower) on the Berkeley campus, with San Francisco Bay in the background.

(Campanile seen from the Stadium,

Here is the campus building where I took most of my classes: Dwinelle Hall, home to the departments of Classics, Slavic Languages, and South Asian Studies:


And here is the best building of all (for me, bookaholic that I am): Doe Library.





No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.