Saturday, February 22, 2020

Week 6 Famous Last Words: Book Contract WHOO-HOO!!!

I should still do some Week 7 work this weekend, but I'm done with Week 6 stuff (I'll use some of these Ravana tales for my Portfolio too!), so I am writing Famous Last Words, and this is the first time I've announced it to the world: I signed a book contract with Johns Hopkins University Press yesterday (after a loooooooong) review process; it's a book about teaching online! Tentative title: How to Teach Online, A Practical and Provocative Guide.

It's going to be part of a "how-to" series called "Higher Ed Leadership Essentials," which focuses on very specific, short books (just around 60,000 words). I am really glad about that! This book will be a kind of oddball in the series because it is about teaching rather than administration, and I'm excited about that: teaching is at the heart of what universities do, and there should be good books for a general higher ed audience, including administrators, about teaching. I'm especially excited to write about teaching online because I pitched the book as a kind of "alternatives to the LMS" approach, so if I can convince both instructors and administrators about the value of looking beyond the LMS for ways to design and deliver online classes, then I will be really happy!


Because the review process took a long time before the contract got finalized, I already made summer plans, so I'll be writing the book during the 2020-21 school year; my goal is to finish on May 1, 2021. That means I get to do lots of reading and thinking before I actually start writing, and that is good too. I always figure that some of the most important work any author does is to read a ton of stuff, and that is part of the "service" we provide in writing the actual book, integrating all the work of all those other authors into what we write.

I didn't think I would ever do another book for a commercial publisher given all the great opportunities for self-publishing these days, but the publisher from JHU who invited me to submit the proposal is such a great guy, and he was the editor on two really excellent books by online friends of mine, so I think this is going to be a positive and productive experience. 

Writing that 50K novel for NaNoWriMo last year really encouraged me also. I am glad that this book is supposed to be short to fit in this series (60K is not all that much more than 50K). So, yes, somehow I will manage to do this, and I really want to do a good job too. Having it be short will also help with that: that will allow me to prune down to what is the very best stuff, and I am sure I can come up with 60K of good stuff to say about teaching online.

Yay books! The ungrading book (in which I have a chapter) is coming out in December 2020, and maybe this book will even come out in December 2021. Not likely, but a possibility... anyway, by December 2022 at the latest I'm sure. So that will make for two very Merry Christmases for me. :-)


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your book contract with John Hopkins, Dr. Gibbs! This is such an exciting opportunity and you must be so happy to see all your hard work work pay off! It's super cool that you're doing How To book on higher education leadership. I think the short format of the book can work in your favor since it'll be digestible for more people and encourage them to learn more if they wish. Congratulations again and I hope to see your books in hard copy sometime!

    ReplyDelete

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.