Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Storybook Favorites... a blast from the past

Since this is my final semester using this blog as a student in this class, I thought I would use this Storybook Favorites post to do a quick inventory of the Storybooks I developed here at this blog. 

I started this blog in Fall 2018, and here's my Storybook from that semester. I am still really fond of this project because I love (LOVE) chain tales, and I hope someday to publish an anthology of chain tale stories from around the world. I keep finding new ones wherever I look; it's one of the great global folktale genres.




Then Spring 2019: of all the Storybooks I've done, this one has what I think is the best writing. I just felt really inspired telling Hanuman's story. I also did a ton of reading to prepare for this one, since I read the whole Ramakien in English. I would like to do a "tiny tales" version of the Ramakien someday!



And Fall 2019: this is my favorite of all the topics. I am still obsessed with Brer Rabbit, and I'm working on a "tiny tales" book of Brer Rabbit stories this semester in fact. I'm really glad I had a chance with this project to write longer versions of the Brer Rabbit stories, in addition to the super-short versions I'm writing now for the book.
Then the pandemic semester of Spring 2020: this was the project that convinced me it really IS possible to do the Indian Epics in a microfiction format. As a result, I've now done the whole Ramayana! It's online here: Ramayana.LauraGibbs.net.
And then last semester, pandemic Fall 2020, when I did both classes. For Myth-Folklore, I did a Twine project that was so fun; I actually learned Twine programming language for the Anansi story: The Anansi Game.




And this project was super-helpful in gearing up for the Ramayana that I published (see link above) because I figured out based on this project how to organize the Ramayana website for the Indian Epics class this semester. 



And here is that website: Ramayana


I am so curious what people are going to think about that! And I'm working on the Mahabharata site right now too. The page layout I came up for this Storybook last semester was a real breakthrough for me in figuring out how to manage a Google Site with 200 stories and images. :-)

And now.......... one last Storybook! I know it is going to be trickster-related this semester, but I am not sure what it will be. I'm excited to start the brainstorming process in Week 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.