Monday, January 27, 2014

Reading Diary A: Aesop for Children

Here are my favorite stories (with links) from Aesop for Children, illustrated by Milo Winter:

The Tortoise and the Ducks. I love this story, and I am so glad it is included here - it fits in very much with the spirit of Aesop (where someone makes a foolish mistake), and it's a lesson I need to learn: it is often better just to keep your mouth shut, ha ha.

The Gnat and the Bull. I liked this story because of the illustration: you really have to look closely to see the teeny-tiny gnat on the bull's horn. It's all relative!!!

The Owl and the Grasshopper. I think this fable is hilarious. The owl really does try to get the grasshopper to be quiet! I also like the little clue about the Greek origin of the story with the owl saying that the wine comes from Apollo himself, the god of music.

The Lion and the Gnat. I love the surprise ending for this one: it's very impressed that the tiny gnat is able to get the best of the lion... but then the gnat flies into a spider's web. There is no perfect victory!

The Mice and the Weasels. Oh, I think this story about the mice generals not being able to get back into the safety of their mouse-holes is hilarious. Foolish pride can be fatal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.