Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology - Unhappy Blacksmith, Trickster Jackal

I'm pretty sure I want to do my own version of the Man in the Moon, but I really like the trickster jackal too. That's my fallback! For my notetaking strategy, I did some research to go along with my notes.


The Man in the Moon.
Story source: Laos Folk-Lore by Katherine Neville Fleeson.

This is a story I am really tempted to retell because it is one of my favorite chain tales, and an unusual one. There's a version from Japan also in the UnTextbook: The Stonecutter.

According to Ashliman, this is Lang's source: Lang's source: David Brauns, "Der Steinhauer," Japanische Märchen (Leipzig: Verlag von Wilhelm Friedrich, 1885), pp. 87-89. Another English version: Hashnu. And a Theosophist version! Apparently the Stonecutter story shows up in Max Havelaar, which makes me think the story really is from India or Laos, and not from Japan at all; here's English translation.

The chain in the Laotian version of the story goes: blacksmith-stone-stonecutter-sun-moon-blackmith.

I like the way that the story TRIES to go full circle, but the magical wise man loses patience and will not turn the moon back into a blacksmith, where the chain started. I like circular stories, so I think if I do a version of this story, I will let it come full circle.

Before I do this story, I might do some research to put these different versions together. I don't really care about determining whether it is from Japan or not, but I am curious to read as many versions as I can find before doing my own. :-)



Tiger, Brahman, and Jackal.
Story source: Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs.

I love this story! And it has a nice chain-tale sequence of judges. Some versions of this story have LOTS of judges, so I could do a version like that where I have a whole series of judges who all comment on the ingratitude of the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.