Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Reading Options: My Take on the UnTextbook

So after working on the feedback assignments for Weeks 2-5, I think I have all the course materials in place now, so I am ready to put on my student hat and do the Week 2 Reading assignment, part A.

The idea is to pick some reading units out that I think I want to read, and that's easy: my goal this semester is to learn more about chain tales and write my own chain tales, so I zoomed right in on the reading units that I know have good chain tales!

WARNING: My perspective here is definitely different than the typical student since I know all about the UnTextbook already, and I have actually picked out my project topic already too. It works out so nicely for me that there are chain tales in the UnTextbook. Yay!

English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs features The Old Woman and Her Pig, which is one of the most famous chain tales, a type of story you can find in many countries around the world. I definitely want to work on this story for my class project!


Persian Tales. This is a must-read unit because of Susku and Mushu, which is a chain-of-mourners type of story. There is also the Sad Tale of the Mouse's Tail.

Turkish Fairy Tales. I'll also need to do this unit so that I can come up with my own version of the story of The Liver. I've never liked the way our heroine has to kiss the peasant at the end, so I will definitely do something about that when I write my own version of the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.