Saturday, March 2, 2019

Tech Tip: Hanuman Images from Wat Phra Chao

I took some time today to start building Hanuman Art widgets. By the end of the semester, I hope to build a whole collection of these, and I'm using a new spreadsheet system that should let me mix-and-match! So, I started with images in my Indian Epics Images blog that are Hanuman images with sculptures from Wat Phra Chao. The photos are beautiful images from by Anandajoti Bhikkhu at Flickr (a lot of them are also at Wikimedia, but I've linked to Bhikkhu's Flickr pages for now; he shared some pretty high-res images, so I hope to go back in later and grab some detail views too). Here a Flickr slideshow of all 200+ images:

15 Wat Phananchoeng

I've got about 40 of those images, the ones with Hanuman, in a randomizing widget which will displays an image here at random when you reload the page:


That's the 400-pixel version, and I've put the 200-pixel version of the same widget in the sidebar of this blog. This was really fun to do, and I'll be creating more widgets with Hanuman art from different sources. Here's the small one in the sidebar:


The tool I use to make these widgets, RotateContent.com, is free online, and it was built by a student who took this class MANY years ago... and the great free tool he built is still going strong!

Update. OH MY GOSH: I figured out how to make these work in Google Sites also. I used the same workaround as in Canvas where, instead of embedding the script like I can do here, I put the script in a page that I host, and then embed that page (not the script) in Google Sites. It worked!!! So now I will be able to put some Hanuman art widgets in my Google Site. Screenshot:




No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.