Saturday, October 20, 2018

Wikipedia Trail: From Samael to Eurhythmy

Since I just wrote up some research on the legend of Samael's son as part of my Portfolio, I thought I would do a Wikipedia trail starting from Samael:

SAMAEL. His name is ominous: Poison-of-God or Venom-of-God. There are  some great Talmudic legends about him. For example, he was Esau's guardian angel! Basically, he is the angel of death. He shows up as Lilith's consort, which makes me feel even better about how I combined Lilith and Samael together in a single story in my Portfolio! There is a Midrashic work where Samael IS the serpent in Eden. There's even a legend that Cain was born from intercourse between Samael and Eve! Wow! There are also legends about him told by anthroposophists, and since I have never heard of them, I clicked on that next.

ANTHROPOSOPHY.  Oh, okay, this is the philosophy of Rudolf Steiner! So that made me click to go to Steiner/Waldorf Education.

STEINER-WALDORF EDUCATION. People mostly know this as Waldorf now, not so much Steiner. I did not realize that Waldorf schools emerged from Steiner's philosophy, which of course appeals to me very deeply: "The cultivation of pupils' imagination and creativity is a central focus." The first Waldorf schools were in Germany! I did not know that either. And the Steiner legacy is not a good one because of his racism. The article lists so many inspiring stories of Waldorf schools in regions of terrible conflict where the schools provide a space of peace and toleration.

RUDOLF STEINER. So I thought I should see what else I could learn from the Steiner article. He was involved in some fascinating projects! The Wikipedia article on him is huge, so I need to come back to this and learn more. The information about his racism (which sounds more like Eurocentrism, not surprising) is helpful, and not surprisingly, other aspects of his philosophy meant he was attacked by the Nazis (he himself died in 1925). There was so much I could click on here, but I was most curious about eurhythmy, so...

EURHYTHMY. This is a movement art done with music OR with spoken text. I was just thinking about an experiment like that the other day re: the link between yogic asanas and stories! Apparently Steiner did workshops on this which have been translated: Eurythmy as Visible Speech and Eurythmy as Visible Singing. I need to see if I can find these! YES: there's a Kindle book. I am good to go and learn more: Introduction to Eurhythmy.






No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.