Sunday, October 27, 2019

Tech Tip: Wikipedia Account

I've now written up ten new Tech Tips in the spirit of "ethical ed tech" this semester, so I am pretty happy about that! I'm glad that those tips will now be in place for students right from the start of next semester. I might write up a few more in the last weeks of this semester too, but ten is a good number too. :-)

The one I wrote up today is about having a Wikipedia account. I don't do a lot of Wikipedia editing (although I expect I will do more in the future as I shift more from working on course design to actual content development), but I do stay logged in to my account. I really like the Minerva view which suppresses the sidebar navigation.

Here's Brer Rabbit for example. And yes, the blue watchlist star is on because I added a list of Harris's books to the article. The article is still a mess to be honest, but I figured that I could help by adding that book list; I also added in a reference to Baer as a counterpoint to the Cherokee section which gave a pretty misleading impression otherwise.


Maybe next summer I will tackle the other parts of this article that are in serious need of help. That's how Wikipedia improves after all: people sharing their knowledge. And having the article be on my watchlist is a reminder to go back and work on it some more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.