Friday, January 15, 2021

"Week 2 Reading Overview: a semester of tricksters!

I know I want to focus on tricksters and their stories this semester... I've read all the UnTextbook, but I'm doing this assignment to think about what units I want to RE-read in order to find good story material I can use about tricksters this semester. :-)

Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.

Week 3: Aesop 
Week 4: More Aesop
... I'll zoom in on the specifically trickster stories, which will be fun to do! (Plus, I can do some stories that will be useful for my Latin Centum project too.)

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.

Week 5: Tales of a Parrot 
Week 6: Santal
These are two important Indian sources that I did not use for the Indian project I did this summer, so it will be good to have a chance to re-visit them now.

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.]
Week 7: Nigeria 
Week 9: South Africa
After Brer Rabbit, my next Tiny Tales book is going to be about African tricksters, so I can definitely make good use of this reading opportunity!

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.
Week 10: California/Southwest 
Week 11: Cherokee
And this one is easy also: after the African trickster book, I'm doing a book about Coyote, and I also need to do something on the back-and-forth story sharing among African storytellers and the tribes of the southeastern U.S., so the Cherokee unit will be good to use also.

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.
Week 12: Aesop 
Week 13: Welsh (Emerson)
More Aesop is an obvious choice! I think I'll be done with the class by Week 13, but if I keep on going, taking a look at those Welsh folktales for trickster motifs will be good!

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.
Week 14: La Fontaine 
Week 15: Italian
Yes, more Aesop via La Fontaine! Plus there is so much great stuff in Crane's Italian folktale book; I should read through that and just do a big trickster harvest right there.

So, one of the books I really want to read this semester will fit right in with the readings from Weeks 10 and 11:

When Brer Rabbit Meets Coyote:
African-Native American Literature
by Jonathan Brennan



No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.