Saturday, February 6, 2021

Storybook Plan: Hare, Tortoise, Anansi

I set up my website and comment wall, and I'm excited about the hare statue that I found for the website homepage.

I'm going to stick with my plan of doing stories about Hare, Tortoise, and Spider, and I created an Introduction page for taking notes, even though I'm not going to try to write the Introduction until I'm done and can discuss the specific stories that I'm working with.

I had planned out a lot of this already (previous post), and I'll start drafting some stories for the Week 4 Story Lab Research option; I might even write some stories. I'll use the Week 4 Story Lab to plan my Hare stories, so I'll be ready to write my Hare page for the Week 5 project. 

Here are some source notes for the three tricksters:

Hare. I've got my Phyllis Savory book, and I may find Hare stories in other Savory books, and Worthington's Kalulu book, plus Clay's Kalulu book (Kindle). Also: The mischief maker: African tales of Nogwaja the hare.

Tortoise. I've got my Ajapa the Tortoise book and Todd's Tortoise, and I've ordered a copy of Courlander's Ijapa book. I think I remember tortoise in Owomoyela's book, and also in Alao's book.

Anansi. I've got the Rattray book (PDF), plus Cronise's Cunnie Rabbit, Mr. Spider, and the Other Beef: West African Folk Tales, and Donkor's Spiders of the Market: Ghanaian Trickster Performance, Lewis-Coker's Motherland and Sierra Leone Anansi Stories, and also Appiah, Badoe, and Gyesi-Appiah.

I'm really excited to be working on this while I'm working on Brer Rabbit at the same time as a separate project. Tricksters everywhere! I can rely on Bascom for good leads on the parallel stories.

Here's the Courlander book that I just ordered! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.