Sunday, March 21, 2021

Week 9 Famous Last Words: Walgreens Vaccine!

So my big news is something that hasn't even happened yet, but is happening on Tuesday: I finally got an appointment for a vaccination (first shot) at Walgreens. My eligibility window here opened on Wednesday and I was banging away at their website day and night trying to get an appointment, and finally, just before shutting down for the night last night, I landed an appointment: March 23, and then April 20. I'm a little worried because that April 20 is the day before my OERxDomains keynote, so I hope I don't get sick with side effects as some people have... but even so, it's worth: I took the appointment slot without even hesitating. My husband has had both shots already (he's over 70), and our best friends here (also both over 70), have had their shots so I am the one who has been holding us back from getting into our routine of cooking together every week....... we haven't done that for over a year now, which just feels impossibly strange. But by the time May 7 rolls around, I'll be two weeks after my second shot, which means immunized, so we can have a big party for the end of the semester, my retirement, and life-back-to-more-or-less-normal for us at least, even though we won't be going out yet. Still, just being able to get together again like we used to is going to feel so good. 

I also made good progress on my Storybook with a TON of research on the San (Bushman) trickster who is Mantis, or Ikaggen. I'm now obsessed with this storytelling tradition, in fact, so I ordered some more books to read. I'm not sure these stories will lend themselves so well to being "tiny tales"... but that's okay: I still want to read and learn all I can about African storytelling traditions, and this is an absolutely beautiful tradition, and with gorgeous art also; this is from the Bleek-Lloyd Archive.


And since it's March 21 today, that means it is exactly one month until the keynote... I need to start working on that now since rushing it at the last minute would not be a good idea: I really want to do a good job with this, not just with the keynote but also some digital materials to go with it.

But now........ it's SPRING. And it's even sort of warm outside, and it's definitely sunny. So I'm going to go walk and listen to music and think about the fact that I'm getting vaccinated next week................. I still can't believe I managed to snag that appointment at last, and I am so happy about that!



No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.