Thursday, August 30, 2018

Week 2 Story: Metamorphoses of a Flower


You can find the latest version of this story at my Portfolio:

There was once a field of flowers that grew tall on strong stalks, their bright yellow petals surrounding a whorl of seeds. As the wind blew, the flowers swayed with the wind, and so they were called "windflowers," because they followed the wind.

But there was one flower who was unhappy because she had to sway whichever way the wind was blowing. She watched the bumblebees and butterflies and birds in the sky, and she saw that they went their own way. Instead of petals, they had wings, and the flower wished that she had wings too.

"O Goddess," she prayed, "I do not want to be a flower anymore. I want to be the bumblebee who goes her own way."


Hearing her prayer, the Goddess turned the flower into a bumblebee.

The bumblebee's wings buzzed as she zoomed up and down, left and right, racing back and forth over the field of flowers. Then she visited other fields with other flowers, drinking nectar and gathering pollen to take back to the hive. The next day was much the same, and the day after that, and the day after that, as the bee flew back and forth from the hive to the different fields of flowers, loaded down with pollen in her pollen baskets.

And so the bee grew tired. She grew very tired. She had never known what it was to be tired when she was a flower, standing tall on her stalk. The bee no longer felt the joy of freedom as she zoomed up and down, buzzing high and low, endlessly looking for pollen to take back to the hive.

Then one day, as she zoomed through a farmyard on her way from one field of flowers to another, she looked down and saw a cat sleeping contentedly in the sunshine. When she zoomed through the farmyard on her way back to the hive, she saw that the cat was still lying there, fast asleep. "What a life!" thought the bee.

Returning to the field of flowers later that day, she buzzed through the farmyard and saw the cat drinking from a bowl of milk. The bee zoomed in closer and watched as the cat lapped up all the milk and then, again, lay down to sleep.

"O Goddess," prayed the bumblebee, "I do not want to be a bumblebee anymore. I want to be the cat who eats and sleeps and does not have to work!"

Hearing her prayer, the Goddess turned the bumblebee into a cat.

The cat spent her days happily sleeping and eating. Occasionally she chased a mouse in the barn, and sometimes she taunted the chickens. Mostly, though, she slept. All day long.

But at night, the cat roamed, making her way through the darkness by the light of the moon in the sky. At first the light of the moon was very faint, only a sliver among the stars. But as each night passed, the moon grew larger and larger, and its light grew brighter and brighter. The cat was in awe of this change in the moon. "I stay the same size all the time," she thought. "But the moon grows bigger and bigger."


Thus, staring longingly up at the full moon in the sky, the cat prayed, "O Goddess, I do not want to be a cat anymore who must stay the same size. I want to be the moon!"

Hearing her prayer, the Goddess turned the cat into the moon.

The moon then stared with her great eye over half the world, and she felt the eyes of all the night creatures staring back at her. "I am the great light of the night," thought the moon. "What grandeur! What power!"

But then the moon realized that she was very cold. Very cold indeed. "How can this be?" she wondered. "I am the light of the night, but there is no fire in me at all."

Shivering in the cold of space, the moon sadly realized the truth of things: the moonlight was not her light at all. It was the light of the sun, made weak and pale as it bounced off her surface on its way down to the earth.

As the moon gazed at the sun off in the distance, burning bright with its own inner fire, she realized she had made a great mistake. "O Goddess," cried the moon, "I do not want to be the moon anymore, with no light or fire of my own. I want to be the sun!"

Hearing her prayer, the Goddess turned the moon into the sun.

And now she had her own light and fire, flames rising up through her entire being, twisting and exploding in bursts of heat, radiating waves of explosive energy, never stopping.


It was all too much. She screamed, "Help me, Goddess, please! I do not want to be the sun!"

And so the Goddess took pity on the sun, and turned her back into a flower, a flower in a field of flowers that grew tall on strong stalks, their bright yellow petals surrounding a whorl of seeds.

But this flower no longer blew with the wind as before. Instead, as the sun moved across the sky each day, this flower turned her face to gaze upon the sun. And so we call her "sunflower," because she follows the sun in the sky.



Author's Note. The original story from Laos is about an unhappy blacksmith who becomes a stone, who becomes a stonecutter, who becomes the sun and finally becomes the moon, which is how we get the "man in the moon."

To come up with my own story, I kept the same theme of dissatisfaction and transformation, but I wanted to not have any human characters in the chain, and I wanted it to be a circle-chain that goes all the way back to where it starts. I also wanted it to be an origin story, so I made it the origin of the sunflower: at first the flower is a "windflower" (which I made up, but then I learned at Wikipedia there really are flowers called windflowers!), and then at the end it is a sunflower. I used some repetition in the story in the formulaic prayers and the Goddess's actions to give it something like a "folktale" style.

I was also thinking of having a cow there (the bee wants to be a cow, and then the cow wants to be a cat), but I could tell the story was becoming too long already, so: no cow.

Writing this story was a good lesson for me because my first impulse was to do all kinds of research (what is the connection between the story from Laos and a similar story from Japan? how is this story like/unlike other chain tales with transformations? etc. etc.) ... but then I realized that instead of helping me to write a better story, doing that research was actually a kind of procrastination. I needed to write the story first (yay, I did it!). Then, if I decide to use this story somehow for my Storybook project, I can do all that research later. And since I really like how this turned out, maybe I will find a way to use it in my project for this class. :-)


Bibliography. "The Man in the Moon" from Laos Folk-Lore by Katherine Neville Fleeson. Web source.

Image sources: Bee and sunflower at Pexels. Cat and moon at Pixabay. Solar flares at Pixabay. Sunflower at Pxhere.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, it's so funny because at first I thought this was another student named Laura - then I went to the introduction and saw it was you! I love your version of the story. Last week I read another version and the two could not be more different but with similar themes/motions. I like the complexities of going through the different organisms and always being happier when it is new but then seeing something better and disliking what you once desired - something most people struggle with all the time, like a new job, new clothes, new house. I like the different ending between this and the other, and the original story that it came full circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I knew that this was going to be good since you're the teacher and all, but wow! I loved this so much! My first story was based on the same Laos tale and I like seeing how differently you approached retelling it. The sunflower is an ingenious way to do it and I like the repetition you use, specifically the "field of flowers that grew tall..." passage you utilize in the very beginning and near the very end.

    ReplyDelete

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.