Sunday, September 23, 2018

Week 5 Reading: Panchatantra

Just reading this selection makes me remember how much I love this book... I am so glad Ryder's translation is circulating freely online! I saw it is at wikisource now also.

Right-Mind and Wrong-Mind: the story of the false witness in the tree always cracks me up; it is in the Tibetan unit also! I should check to see if it is also a jataka
A Remedy Worse Than the Disease: heron, snake, mongoose, crab -- who this time gives very foolish advice!

The Mice That Ate Iron: all the little details in this story make it a very nice version! I wonder what version La Fontaine actually read!

The Sensible Enemy: I had forgotten about the prophetic bird of the Bhils in this story! and what a plot twist: "The robber for his victims died." ... good karma, but at a cost!

The Foolish Friend: monkey, man and bee, like story of the bear and the gardener

How the Rabbit Fooled the Elephant: link between moon and rabbits: "rabbits who are under my special protection, who are of the race of that rabbit-king cherished in my bosom. This is iniquitous. Nay, one would think you the only creature in the world who does not know the rabbit in the moon."



The Cat's Judgement: the cat quoting scripture is so cute!

The Brahman's Goat: oh, this is a SERIES tale: they try to convince the brahmin the goat is a dog, calf, donkey: "So the Brahman concluded that it was a goblin in quadruped form, threw it on the ground, and made for home, terrified."

I am really happy with my story that does not have the transformation, but this version with the mouse made into a woman really is fabulous too! 

I had forgotten that Yajnavalkya has the power to summon these potential husbands; he does not go visiting them!
and the father asks the girl if she wants them; she rejects the sun, and that is when the father asks if there is anyone stronger

the moment of recognizing her fellow mouse is a great part of this story: she felt: "My own kind, my own kind," and her body thrilled and quivered, and she said: "Father dear, turn me into a mouse, and give me to him. Then I can keep house as my kind of people ought to do."

The Loyal Mongoose... this story is always hard to read! at least in the Indian world this loyal pet gets to come back in a next lifetime, rewarded for his good karma (and, of course, what happens to him this time is a result of past karma...)
and it could be a chain-of-blame story also! "Greedy! Greedy!" she cried. "Because you did not do as I told you, you must now taste the bitterness of a son's death, the fruit of the tree of your own wickedness.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.