Saturday, November 2, 2019

Extra Reading: Lang / Africa B

Here are my notes on the African stories from Andrew Lang's books, Part B:

Hassebu. This is a very satisfying Arabian-Nights-style story. Steere says he found it in an Arabic ms. of the Nights, but it is not in Lane's translation. I would like to find an English translation of a Nights version of this story. I also need to learn more about the Shahmaran!



The Heart of a Monkey. This is the famous story of the monkey and the crocodile, but this time with a shark instead! 

The Heart of a Monkey: The Washerman's Donkey. Then, to teach the shark a lesson, the monkey tells the story of the lion and the donkey and the rabbit, so we get to see a trickster rabbit taking the place of the trickster fox in Aesop!


Makoma. I wish I could find Lang's source for this story because it is really cool! Much of the Internet searching turns up its use in Hellboy



No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.