Thursday, August 6, 2020

Storybook Favorites... and thinking about new projects to come!

I'm glad to be back here blogging again... for this Storybook Favorites post, I decided to look back over some of the projects I did in the past for this class to help me figure out some priorities for this semester's projects! For the first time, I'm going to be doing both classes (this Fall is going to be so weird, which means: why not? I might as well give it a try!) ... and I want to try to blend my class projects with the Tiny Tales work I am doing, which means: Sufi stories, Anansi, Hanuman, Krishna, Ramayana and Mahabharata stuff. I'm not sure what that will mean in terms of my class projects, but there will be lots of stories going on.

So, last semester I did this "tiny tales" project with Ramayana stories: Big Epic, Tiny Stories: Microfiction from the Ramayana. I included stories about Hanuman, Rama, and Ravana, and I like how it turned out. The layout of the 100-word stories looked good! So maybe this time I could do something like that with stories about women of the Ramayana, or maybe a woman of the Epics so I could pick a couple of women from the Ramayana and a couple of women from the Mahabharata!


Another relevant project is this one I did a while ago about Hanuman: Hanuman in the Ramakien: Tales of the Monkey Warrior. Those were long stories (I hit the 1000-word maximum every time!), so maybe I could back through the Ramakien and take a different approach, focusing on teeny-tiny stories instead of the big stories.


And here's probably my favorite project I've done for Myth-Folklore (since I really do love chain tales so much!): Chain Tale Anthology: One Thing Leads to Another. Chain tales are obviously more fun when they are expanded, but I've also been able to include some chain tales in my "tiny tales" books too, so maybe I could do a fun project where I picked some chain tales and told them BOTH ways, once as a 100-word story, and then in a fuller version. If I am doing all tiny-tales for the Indian Epics project, then this chain tale project might be fun to do so that I could get some practice writing longer stories this semester too!





No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.