Saturday, September 5, 2020

Week 3 Microfiction: Noah and Canaan

One of the projects I am working on right now is finishing up a book of Sufi legends; you can see the collection of stories here: Tiny Tales from the Sufis. The book opens with a series of legends about characters from Islamic tradition who also appear in the Hebrew Bible and in Jewish legends. This particular story is about Noah and the Ark; in the Islamic tradition, Canaan was a son of Noah. You can learn more about Noah in Islam at Wikipedia. Below is a 100-word version and a 6-word version:


NOAH AND CANAAN

God flooded the whole earth.
Deep waters covered all the land.
Noah and his family were safe in the ark upon the waters, but Noah's son Canaan was trying to swim on his own.
"I won't get into Noah's ark!" he shouted.
Noah shouted back, "But I'm your father! Get into the ark!"
"You are my enemy. I defy you!" said Canaan. "I can swim! I'll swim to the mountain-top to find salvation."
"God is the only salvation!" replied Noah. "Get into the ark!"
"No!" said Canaan. "Never!"
And then a great wave smashed down upon Canaan, and he drowned.


Noah: Come!
Canaan: No!
Canaan drowned.


I made a poster too:





Bibliography. I relied on the English prose version of the Sufi poet Rumi in Tales from the Masnavi by A. J. Arberry, story 72 in the book. 

Image Information. The miniature is from Hafiz-i Abru’s Majma al-tawarikh.



3 comments:

  1. I loved reading this because I also wrote about Noah's Ark and the flood. I loved details with Canaan not making it on the boat and ending up drowning because he would not listen to his father. It is interesting to think about that stubbornness because the flood happened because people would not listen to their Heavenly Father and Canaan would not even listen to his earthly father either. Loved the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this story because my faith is huge to me and learning about the bible stories comes along with that! I am familiar with Noah's story and the flood so I loved how you condensed this whole story into a microfiction. I knew God flooded the earth to destroy all mankind and start over but I wasn't familiar with Cannan swimming. Is that part of the original? I need to go look it up. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really eye opening. Especially picturing it from a parent's point of view. Do you feel it's the responsibility to keep reaching when their children are lost? Even as their children keep defying and pushing them away? Or should we allow them the weight of their decisions as adults -- despite the good and bad? I feel there's a lot of weight placed on mothers and fathers, as well as parental figures and we just do our best. But it's a team. If Canaan refused to reach for that helping hand, it's a tragedy to both figure-of-authority and the one they protected. Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.