Saturday, September 8, 2018

Tech Tip: Countdown Widget

So, I'm clearly geeking out here with the widgets now that I made two sidebars for my blog. I promise I am going to stop after this, ha ha. I copied over the Progress Meter widget from the class announcements blog AND I made a semester countdown. It's fun to see the seconds ticking.

Progress Meter

The Progress Meter is something I make each semester using Randy Hoyt's RotateContent.com (Randy was a student in this class a gazillion years ago). Anybody can just copy-and-paste this code if they want the widget. It's a little javascript that is hosted at my LauraGibbs.net webspace at OU:

Here's what it looks like:




Countdown Widget

For the countdown widget, I configured a widget at TickCounter.com. As you can see, they have lots of options:


When you have configured the widget options you want, just click on "embed" to get the code you can copy-and-paste into a Blogger sidebar HTML/Javascript gadget.

I decided not to make the seconds ticking in red because it seriously stressed me out. And the days-hours-minutes-seconds would not fit in my sidebar nicely, so I dropped the hours, so it is just days-minutes-seconds. It's kind of cool thinking about a day as a huge number of minutes. And it's kind of freaky to think about how there are less than a hundred days now in the semester!


No comments:

Post a Comment

To minimize spam, comments are restricted to Google accounts only. You can also contact me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady. Comments on older posts will be moderated.